Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Building an Effective Team


by Angela Gallogly
Vice President of USA Operations, Advanced Team Concepts
http://www.atctraining.com

I want to spend the next couple of blogs focusing on building an effective team. It’s a key principle and priority in my business, and it’s certainly important to the customers that I serve. In past blogs, I’ve circled the topic with the discussion of effective communication and building trust. Now I want to expand the discussion to include the challenges, the rewards, and a few keys to success for building a GREAT team.

Teamwork is all about people. It’s about creating a place where the talents and energies of individuals can combine to create something great. It’s also a tremendous challenge. It takes ongoing work and focused effort. A common misconception that I encounter in the business world is the idea that you can “team build” once every year or two and then check it off the list and get to the “real work.”

Imagine a family that only has “family time” once or twice a year, maybe at a gathering for a major holiday or family reunion. The rest of the year, the family is busy – work, chores, school, bills….I’ve seen my own family get into this mode – we call it the frantic family syndrome. There isn’t time for quality time, family dinners or fireside chats. Have you ever noticed that this is when the family fighting starts? It’s the same with a work team. If you don’t take the time to communicate, connect, and build relationships, eventually you’re going to see some dysfunction.

When a team isn’t cohesive, you can see the signs. Is there an absence of trust? Does the team avoid conflict or handle it badly? Are the individuals in the team more interested in their own self-preservation and advancement as opposed to the success of the team?

If you’ve noticed signs that your team isn’t syncing well, that’s a start. Awareness is the first critical step, but it must be combined with a commitment for improvement.

To start you off, I’d like to recommend a great read that my friend and colleague, Scott Airitam, shared with me. Patrick Lencioni’s, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. It’s a simple fable that simplifies and defines the importance of a healthy and effective team.

In future blogs, I’ll discuss some practical tips that can strengthen a team from both a leadership and a contributing team member’s perspective. If you have any team stories or tips, please add your comments. I’d love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment