Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Virtual Teams

by Angela Gallogly
Vice President of USA Operations, Advanced Team Concepts

I've been spending a lot of time in the world of virtual team building. Lately, my team is spread out, my customers are busy and travel budgets are tight. This has resulted in a serious reduction in face time.

This isn't a bad circumstance. It just means that we have to work a little differently to stay connected. As I look around my office, I have to smile to myself as I examine the evidence of my own approach. There are three humming computers, phones, speakers, microphones and webcams, all leaving a trail of wires and power cords. This is great equipment. I just need to make sure it doesn't trip me up, both literally and figuratively.

For me, it's important to remember:

  • To communicate differently in a virtual environment. Unless I'm on a video conference, my team can't see my body language, a huge piece of the conversation puzzle. I've got to ramp up the use of words and tone to communicate well.

  • To keep information and projects visible. Text-only communication can be limiting so I try to keep team calendars and project timelines available. Graphics can also compliment the message.

  • To use these tools wisely. For example, hosting a webinar is a fantastic way to train, whiteboard ideas, and share documents, but you need to feel comfortable with the tools you're using. I work hard to understand tool functionality, and I practice with it until I'm comfortable.

  • To never forget the need for personal connection. If I have the ability to meet a team member or customer in person, I try to do it. If it isn't possible, I have to find other ways to build the relationship. Photos and video conferencing can help, but I have to be prepared to work harder and longer to build trust and relationship in the virtual world.

3 comments:

  1. This is the world we live in.
    Yet, communication with each other is the life line through which information must course through our organization.

    Great comments on the range and variety of tools we must use.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, you are right on! Another thought I know you are aware of, it's important to pay attention to time zones! Make sure your event is timed so that someone isn't getting up at the crack of dawn or missing family time in the evening if at all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charissa,

    Great addition! We've got to keep those time zones in mind, and not just from the perspective of a coast-to-coast team. Our virtual teams are often global, and we need to be sensitive to time and even potential cultural and language differences.

    ReplyDelete